It was the summer of 2007. I was on vacation with my family in Kauai, HI, enjoying paradise. During one of the coveted nap-times for the kids, I started doing some searches for content management systems. Yeah, that’s how I unwind. At the time, I was primarily utilizing a few proprietary systems to run websites and the cost/rigidness was suffocating creativity. [Read more…]
WordPress is a great platform and has ventured beyond being just a blogging platform as it was traditional known as.
But how do you get a hosted WordPress site? There are 2 different routes to take:
- Let them host it – www.wordpress.com
- You host it
If you let them host it (check out the steps here) you then are limited mainly by the domain name.
If you want to host it yourself, here’s what you need to do: [Read more…]
I recently re-launched by blog and was able to mess around with a few new plugins that I’ve found really helpful. Here’s a list of a few:
- For commenting, I highly recommend Disqus. Plugin integration was very simple and there are some great options to manage from right within the options settings.
- Clean-Contact is a great contact us form that’s simple to use and set up.
- To help blog posts extend to the social world:
- Auto Tweet allows your posts to auto-tweet when posted online. UPDATE: Actually prefer Tweetly Updater as I’m a bit.ly guy.
- Can’t decide which network to allow? Use them all with ShareThis! I particularly liked the various options in terms of the tool set that you can use.
- You can insert a TweetMeme button right at the top of your post so that option is front and center.
- I also am using Google Analytics to track my site traffic and Google Webmaster Tools (with the help of Google XML Sitemaps plugin) so that I can make sure my site is working as best as possible.
Hope that helps!
Last night my wife and I decided to venture out of suburbia San Diego and head south into North Park/Hillcrest to check out a new restaurant that was recommended by some friends called Urban Solace. I can go on forever about what great food we had, the unique menu selection, the chic decor, the uniqueness – all that was there and then some, you just have to check the place out – but as soon as I saw their website I knew the experience was going to be great. [Read more…]
I just finished my first launch of a WordPress install using the Thesis theme (beer money link). I had a fellow web developer who has been not only pushing WordPress but more specifically pushing me towards the Thesis theme. Coming from a pretty basic understanding of WordPress (way more experience/understanding of Joomla) Thesis was quite a fun learning experience. It also opened my eyes to the possibility of accomplishing some of the things I thought were reserved for “larger” CMS platforms.
Overall Thesis is an SEO-feature-rich dream. Not only is the page code extremely clean, but for each post you can easily control the page titles, keywords, descriptions, and image alt tags all while posting your blog.