If any of you have been lucky enough to have one of Nana’s chocolate cakes, now you can make your own!
Nana's Chocolate CakePrint
Servings: 1 cake
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (Hershey's or other)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup butter or margerine
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 3/4 cups flour (unsifted, all purpose)
Frosting Ingredients (makes 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbs butter or margerine
- 2 tbs milk or water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Stir together cocoa and boiling water until smooth; set aside.
- Cream butter, shortening and sugar in large mixer bowl. Blend in salt, eggs and vanilla. Stir baking soda into buttermilk; add alternately with flour to creamed mixture. Blend in reserved cocoa mixture.
- Pour batter into two greased and wax paper lined 9-inch round layer pans (two 8-inch square pans or a 13x9x2 inch pan). Back at 350° for 30-35 minutes (40-45 minutes for 8-inch or 13x9x2 inch pans) until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely, frost as desired.
Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting
- Combine cocoa with powdered sugar. Cream butter with 1/2 cup of cocoa mixture in a small bowl. Add remaining cocoa mixture alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency. Blend in vanilla. (For a glossier frosting, add 1 tbs of corn syrup).